How to Watch HBO Max on Roku in the UK (Jan. 2021)
In recent years, the increasing fame of the entertainment and streaming media encouraged Roku TV to extend their services beyond the borders. Earlier this year, Roku TV launched their services in Britain with access to over 10,000 movies and shows for their users.
If you are wondering how to watch HBO Max in the UK on Roku, you will need to use a VPN. Streaming services like HBO geo-restrict its content. This means, it is only available to access and watch in the USA, unless you change your location and act as a local!
Although, NOW TV offers HBO shows but it has only a limited library available from the US. Make sure you don’t miss out on miniseries like Chernobyl and Watchmen along with complete HBO Max library by investing in a VPN service.
👉Stay tuned and keep reading as I explain how you can access HBO on Roku in the UK with the best VPNs in the marketplace for streaming!
5 Best VPN to Watch HBO on Roku in the UK [Overview]
- PureVPN: Best VPN for HBO Max on Roku. Preconfigured routers available. 168 servers across the UK mainly located in Maidenhead, London, Gosport and Manchester. 7-Day trial for a minimal £0.76. Starts at £2.23/mo on a 2-year plan.
- Surfshark: Cheap VPN for HBO Max on Roku. Preconfigured routers available. 52 servers across London, Glasgow and Manchester. 7-Day free trial for Android and iOS. Unlimited multilogins. Starts at £1.67/mo on a 2-year plan + 3 months free.
- NordVPN: Quality Streaming for HBO on Roku. Preconfigured routers available. 690 servers in 5 different cities in the United Kingdom. 7-Day free trial and also a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. Starts at £2.86/mo on a 2-year plan.
- ExpressVPN: Fast Streaming for HBO on Roku. Dedicated router application. 50 servers across the UK located in Docklands, East London, London and Wembley. 7-Day free trial on Android and iOS. Starts at £5.21/mo on a 1-year plan.
- IPVanish: Optimized Servers for HBO on Roku. Preconfigured routers available. 89 servers located in different cities in the United Kingdom. 30-Days Money-Back Guarantee available. No leak issues. Starts at £2.45/mo on a 1-year plan.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku in the UK
Platforms like Roku and related streaming services do not support and work with VPN applications directly. You have to put a little extra effort and time to look for some substitute way to fix it and keep enjoying your favorite HBO content.
In case you don’t have an access to a pre-configured router, you may still access HBO on Roku by adopting any of the following methods:
1. Set Up a VPN Directly Onto Your Router
- Enter IP Address 192.168.1.1 into the URL and access your router dashboard.
- Open the “services” tab and open the “VPN” tab.
- Enable the “Start OpenVPN Client”, option.
- Get all the relevant settings done by your service provider.
- Connect to a US server (Most Important).
- Connect the VPN Wi-Fi Router to Roku TV.
- Access the HBO app and enjoy the US library streaming in the UK.
2. Configure a SmartDNS Proxy on Roku
- Access your Router Admin Panel by entering the IP Address 192.168.1.1
- Tap “DNS Settings” and select the “Manual” option.
- Change the router DNS IPs to SmartDNS Proxy IPs.
- Generally, it comes as Primary/Secondary Server or DNS Setting 1 or 2 ,
- Get the DNS Server List from the SmartDNS Proxy service provider,
- Primary server will always be the closest server to your actual location
- Secondary server will be the next closest server to your physical location.
- Tap “Save” and then Tap “Apply”.
- Restart the Router.
5 Best VPN to Watch HBO Max on Roku [Detailed Analysis]
Check out this analysis of top-rated VPNs for HBO streaming on Roku. Important features like router compatibility for setup on Roku, network coverage, endorsement from recognized bodies, privacy and data protection and maximum devices.
1. PureVPN: The Best VPN for HBO Max on Roku
Total Servers: 6,500+ | Countries: 140+ | Trustpilot Rating: 4.8 | Maximum Devices Supported: 10 | Price: £2.23/month on a 2-year plan
PureVPN enjoys the top position and is the finest VPN choice for HBO on Roku in the UK. Similar to watching HBO Max on Firestick, just connecting your Roku device to the pre-configured PureVpn router, intensifies your streaming experience with the best of speed, quality, and security.
They also maintain high standards of privacy and confidentiality through implementing Military Grade Encryption. They implement Advanced Encryption Standards (AES) with 256-bit keys that ensures your privacy from the Government spies and other related organizations.
This also confirms that PureVPN has a straight forward No-Logs policy. They have been reviewed, assessed and appraised by globally renowned firms like Forbes and have a wide-ranging global network in 140+ countries and 6,500+ servers globally.
- Conveniently compatible with Roku devices.
- A wide-ranging global coverage with 6,500+ servers in 140+ countries.
- A great combination of P2P, WebRTC Leak protection, Split Tunneling and Kill Switch.
- Highly attractive number of simultaneous connections i.e. 10.
- 24/7 Technical Support.
- Service trials are not 100% free.
2. Surfshark: Cheap VPN for HBO Max on Roku
Number of Servers: 3,200+ | Countries: 65+ | Trustpilot Rating: 4.3 | Maximum Devices Supported: Unlimited | Price: £1.67/month on a 2-year plan
Along with great reliable streaming for HBO on Roku in the UK, Surfshark brings upon the most exciting added advantage and that is the ‘Cost Effectiveness’. For just £1.67/mo on a 2 years plan, you are getting unlimited simultaneous connections.
With quick and trouble free compatibility with Roku devices, it offers a pre-configured router with a surfhark VPN. Surfshark secures your digital life and enhances your internet freedom through Camouflage mode, meaning even your service provider can’t track you.
Double up your privacy through MultiHop features, by connecting to two different servers in different regions. It even speeds up your connection. For example, accessing something in Canada being in Sweden, it will let you pickup Sweden-Canada Pair to enhance speed.
- No Logs policy.
- Low-Cost and reliable VPN services.
- Smooth Compatibility with Roku devices.
- The best part is unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Efficient technical support.
- Not been reviewed and assessed by a specialist firm/organization.
- Not good speed for P2P service.
3. NordVPN: Quality Streaming for HBO on Roku
Number of Servers: 5,400+ | Countries: 59+ | Trustpilot Rating: 4.5 | Maximum Devices Supported: 6 | Price: £2.86/month on a 2-year plan
NordVPN offers smooth connectivity to a pre-configured router and lets the users enjoy the streaming services like never before. Get NordVPN dedicated IPs to protect your online payments and enhance security to corporate servers.
With VPN servers everywhere, it offers unmatched browsing experience for HBO on Roku with extremely massive global coverage of 5400+ servers in 59+countries. It ensures fast connectivity and uninterrupted browsing using their state of the art encryption technology.
It hides your IP addresses and directs the traffic through virtual tunnels that even your service providers get no chance to disturb your connection quality. NordVPN enhances your data security and privacy through the Kill Switch feature.
- Good compatibility with Roku devices.
- Massive global coverage with over 5400 servers in more than 59 countries.
- Protection against ads, malwares and other threats through CyberSec features.
- 7-Day free trial on iOS platform.
- Consistently Fast and reliable connectivity.
- Connectivity with 6 devices at the same time.
- Privacy enhanced through Military Grade Encryption.
- Ineffective Customer Support.
- Not all the servers support torrenting.
4. ExpressVPN: Fast Streaming for HBO on Roku
Number of Servers: 3,000+ | Countries: 94+ | Trustpilot Rating: 4.7 | Maximum Devices Supported: 5 | Price: £5.21/month on a Yearly Plan
ExpressVPN offers a unique router app that you can install on your existing routers to use their services. But since this app is not supported by all the routers, have a word with ExpressVPN about your router’s model compatibility with their router app.
The provider is known for its fast and highly secure streaming services for HBO and related platforms on Roku in the UK. Through TrustedServer Technology across all the servers globally, they provide advanced security and data protection
It does not let the operating system copy any bit of information on the hard drive and instead relies upon RAM for the server to save data. Because RAM is dependent upon power for data storage, every time the server switches off and turns on again, it wipes off all the data.
- Offers both a Pre-configured router and a unique router application.
- All the servers offer consistently fast speeds.
- Enhanced security on servers and apps both.
- Efficiently unblocks HBO and related streaming services.
- Powerful network with 3000+ servers in 94+ countries.
- 5 Simultaneous connections exclusive of Roku devices.
- Accessed and appraised by recognized security firms like Cure52 and PwC Switzerland.
- Expensive than competitors.
- Minor connection fail issues.
5. IPVanish: Optimized Servers for HBO on Roku
No. of Servers: 1,600+ | Countries: 75+ | Trustpilot Rating: 4.7 | Maximum Devices Supported: 10 | Price: £2.51/mo on a Yearly plan
IPVanish offers great value for money for streaming HBO and related services on Roku in the UK. Like watching HBO Max on Apple TV and PS4, IPVanish is available with a pre-configured router that can be connected to Roku devices and you can enjoy streaming all day long.
IPVanish does not compromise over your security, data protection and online privacy and uses improved and specialized servers for this purpose. An attractive feature of IPVanish is the availability of 1500+ servers in 75+ countries.
For securing extremely personal and confidential user-data and files, IPVanish incorporates SugarSync with AES-256 bit keys. SugarSync is a highly secure cloud service that offers file storing and backup management along with syncing personal and highly important data.
- User-friendly app.
- No-Logs policy.
- Great value for money.
- Easy Compatibility with Roku devices.
- 40,000+ IP Addresses, global coverage with 1500+ servers in 75+ countries.
- 10 devices can be connected simultaneously on one subscription.
- Great torrenting experience.
- Poor customer and technical support.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku in The UK: FAQs
Here are some of the important relevant questions and their best answers about how you can watch HBO on Roku in the UK:
💭Is HBO free on Roku?
Getting an HBO app is free of cost, however, streaming the content requires an active HBO subscription.
📍Can I watch HBO on Roku using my regular HBO subscription?
No. For watching HBO on the Roku channel you need to cancel the regular HBO subscription and instead get the Premium Subscription for HBO on the Roku channel.
💳Can I unlock a Roku device?
No, you cannot unlock or jailbreak a Roku device because it has a restricted software that does not let you add or delete application on your Roku device.
⭐Can I use VPN directly onto my Roku device?
Roku devices do not allow and support any VPN application. You can use a pre-configured router with any of the VPN services mentioned in this guide and connect your Roku device with a VPN using Wi-Fi.
❓Can I configure SmartDNS Proxy on Roku?
No. Roku devices do not allow any kind of installation and do not have any Advanced Setting options as well. The only way possible to use SmartDNS Proxy service is to update your router’s specific DNS settings by accessing the router’s dashboard.
Wrapping Things Up
The increasing fame of the entertainment and streaming media industry is unlocking and bringing upon a lot more exciting opportunities. Technological advancements and integration of devices enable users to unblock and access way more content globally than before.
In this guide, I have highlighted a detailed analysis of 5 best VPNs for streaming HBO on Roku in the UK. I hope reading through this guide completely will definitely clear your doubts about the topic and will enhance your knowledge on this. Still any doubts? Drop a comment!